While the Athenæum inspires and embodies myriad ideas, activities, and interests, reading is its beating heart. The institution’s long history testifies to an unshakeable belief in the expansive power of the written word to inform, enlighten, entertain, inspire, amuse, arouse, enrage, engage, confound, and comfort.
And while reading is usually a solitary pursuit, it frequently leads to thinking, which often leads to talking, which almost inevitably leads to seeking out someone to listen and talk back. Put another way: we read, and therefore there are reading groups. Athenæum reading groups offer the ideal opportunity to try books or authors you’ve long wanted to read or re-read, in the shared, convivial company of other intellectually curious readers and engaging, encouraging group leaders.
Please note that registration is reserved for Athenæum members and all participants must agree to the following terms and conditions.
- Due to overwhelming demand, I agree to join only one reading group per year, unless space allows.
- By joining a reading group, I intend to attend as many meetings as possible. If I am not able to continue with the group for any reason, I will notify the Athenæum as soon as possible to allow waitlisted attendees to join.
- I will maintain an Athenæum membership for the length of the reading group.
- I will treat other readers and the group leader with respect, allowing others to voice thoughts and opinions.
- The views and opinions of the leaders are their own, and do not necessarily represent the mission or views of the Athenæum. The Athenæum does not curate, censor, or specify reading lists.