It’s a day full of all things Whitman! Drop in to celebrate yourself, the man of the hour, and the opening of the Poet of the Body exhibition with poetry, treats, music, and crafts for all ages.
– Take a turn on the press with DWRI Letterpress (bring home your own print!)
– Craft butterfly rings and pose like Whitman in his iconic butterfly photograph
– Create your own leaves of poetry using a selection of Walt’s favorite words
– Join curator-led tours of the exhibit offered at 11:30am and 1:30pm
– Learn more during staff-led tour of the Athenæum building and history at 2pm
– Enjoy pumpkin munchkins and fall treats because…it’s October in Rhode Island!
Walt Whitman: Poet of the Body
On view October 15, 2019 – January 5, 2020
The Providence Athenæum will host a portion of the exhibition “Poet of the Body”: New York’s Walt Whitman on view at the Grolier Club in New York from May 15 – July 27, 2019. The display at the Athenæum will celebrate the history of Leaves of Grass, featuring the library’s rare first edition inscribed by Whitman, along with items from the extraordinary private Walt Whitman collection of Susan Jaffe Tane.
This year marks the 200th anniversary of Whitman’s birth, and the Athenæum is participating with the Walt Whitman Initiative in celebrating the life and work of the “Good Gray Poet.”