1. Borrowing privileges at the Athenaeum: Becoming a member fully opens the library's collections to you, allowing any circulating items to be checked out.
Tens of thousands of books, magazines, DVDs, and CDs will all be available for you to bring home. And we order dozens of new materials to add to our collection each week!
2. Gain access to items beyond our collection: Don't see what you're looking for among our more than 150,000 items? Not a problem!
We can get a hold of almost any book ever published. Just use our book request form, give us a call, or stop by in person and we'll track down that title you've been searching for.
3. Admittance to all Athenaeum events: Members and their guests gain access to our weekly salons and advance notice and discounted admission (when applicable) to our many programs and events including talks and readings with authors and artists, concerts, tastings, theatricals, and conversations throughout the year.
4. Children's Library Services: The weekly children's story-times and sing-a-longs, as well as special programming like author appearances and movie showings, are all open to members.
5. Use of the RISD Library: Household and Individual Members are able to check items out from the Rhode Island School of Design's visually-stunning Fleet Library.
Click here to learn more about the RISD Library and the amazing materials it has to offer Athenaeum members.
6. Subscription to the Universal Penman newsletter: Members also receive mailed copies of our colorful and detail-packed monthly newsletter. Filled with news and upcoming event information, the Universal Penman is your gateway to all things Athenaeum.
7. The Knowledge that your support is making a big difference: From its inception, the Athenaeum has owed its existence to membership dues.
Become a member and invest in the Athenaeum's future!
With just a few clicks you can become a new member or renew an existing membership. Please choose a membership level and click the link below to get started:
(Or, if you would prefer to pay by mail or in-person, please click here for additional information.)
All prices are for one year of membership.
Monthly payment plans for yearly membership using a credit/debit card are also available:
Note: In the event of early cancelation of membership, remaining balance for the year will be charged to your card.
The Providence Athenaeum reveals its storied history in every corner and on each shelf: the simple act of walking into the building can take your breath away as the centuries reveal themselves.
But the best part of the library is its mixing of the old and the new:
Here, books from the early-1800's share shelf space with the newest mystery novels. There, this month's issue of your favorite magazine sits outside of a rare book room that holds Medieval manuscripts. And everywhere within the library, history and the present day mingle and mesh in surprising ways.
In joining the Athenaeum you are able to explore its rich past, share in its exciting present, and ensure its vibrant future.